Monday, December 6, 2010 | By: Andrea Coffey

Technology Bites The Dust

No technology for 48 hours, no mobile, email or internet!
That didn't last long!

I embarked on this endeavour with a “sure that’s no problem” mentality. It soon became evident that it was indeed quite a problem. I don’t drive and it was a few hours after class when I realised I couldn’t use my phone to call home for a lift, not only that but I was feeling a bit detached from the world and so I began to walk in the freezing cold thinking to myself “stupid assignment”.


Me! haha
When I arrived home I remembered it was my dad’s birthday.  I picked up my phone to call him and realised I couldn’t do that. My father lives a bit away from me so once again I embarked on a walk in the cold, except this time I was accompanied by quite a large present to carry. I finally arrived at my father’s house and knocked on the door, there was no reply. After 10 minutes my frustration began to grow and I turned on my mobile to call my father. He said he was at the driving range and would be back in an hour. “Why didn’t you text me" he stated. So that’s the story of how I only lasted 6 hours without my phone.


Reaching for the dial!

It wasn’t all bad though when I went home the assignment sparked up a very interesting conversation with my Mother.  The main focus being “dating in the old days” She explained they had to do it without the use of mobiles or the internet. The idea of arranging to meet someone a week before and standing waiting and hoping they would come was a situation I could simply not imagine.

Wonder if this is what Dad looked like!

As for the internet that didn’t go very far at all, In fact I dint even attempt that one. Are class had a few assignments due that week and let’s be honest it’s not impossible to do assignments without the internet but it is very hard, and in 4th year I don’t think the risk was worth the experiment. I enjoy using Facebook





Andrea Coffey

Create your badge


And of course my email, watching videos on YouTube and reading funny stories on my favourite sites but they are defiantly not something that I could not live without for 48 hours. I will be sure to test this one out in are January break and I will make sure to let everyone know how I get on.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.